Brown Trout wade fly fishing in the River Tweed
The River Tweed is situated to the south of Edinburgh. We offer guided fishing trips for wild trout, grayling and salmon on this iconic river, which is one of the best in Scotland. This fishing trip allows you to enjoy wonderful scenery, varied fly fishing beats, warm knowledgeable guides, Orvis premium fishing tackle and Orvis waders, boots and sage like advice from a River Tweed guide. This river offers the chance for real a trophy trout close to Edinburgh.
Information on River Tweed
The Tweed is the second longest river in Scotland and takes great pride in the fact that it produces more fish caught to the fly than any other river in Britain. The Tweed has around 45 well managed beats. A beat is a stretch of the river under private ownership and with usually with a resident ghillie.
All along its 97-mile course, this ancient river is surrounded by myth and mystery. Our guides have fished the Tweed since they were boys, and those that represent Scotland in international river competitions like our guide Cuillin Rae and Graeme Ferguson learned their trade fishing this river and its tributaries. The River meanders through the Tweed valley eastwards towards the sea at Berwick on Tweed and is set in stunning scenery. It offers some of the best of wild brown trout fishing in Scotland yet you will be fishing only 50 minutes from Edinburgh City Centre.
A typical day, trout fishing on the Tweed
You can be collected from your hotel by your guide, a day normal runs from 08:30 to 17:30, however, we are flexible with timings. There are some excellent accommodation options within easy reach of the river. Old Mill House. Kingsmuir, and Dignity and Time.
We provide everything you need. Quality fishing tackle and specialist Scottish tied flies. Orvis rain jackets can be supplied, Orvis waders in all sizes including women’s waders, Orvis boots with Vibram soles and tungsten studs to give better grip. Auto inflate life vest are also supplied and these are checked regularly and services at the end of every season. It’s vital to wear sunglasses for eye protection and if you forget yours, we carry a huge stock including Costa sunglasses.
What are the best trout flies to use on the River Tweed? One thing is for sure, these fish are no fools, they are educated, but with the right tactics and careful presentation, there are some superb specimens to be caught. Generally the bigger fish get taken early season in April and May during a hatch of Olives. A slightly cooler wind might keep the flies on the water longer and this can trigger an explosive rise. Fish come out of hiding and travel to other pools to feed heavily. Having the right fly is crucial, and a simple CDC dry olive is lethal, such as Davie MacPhails excellent pattern.
Your guide lives and breathes the Tweed, he will be on your shoulder all day and is happy to give you local fishing techniques, casting tips, take photos and share stories. When you need solitude you can just enjoy the river.
Included in this trout fishing experience
- Fishing permits for a private stretch of the river Tweed
- Transport arrangements from Edinburgh or the Borders region (other areas extra cost)
- Professional dedicated river guide, learn to read the river and connect with fish
- The latest fishing tackle = Orvis Helios 2 and 3 rods, and a choice of fly lines by Rio, Barrio and Snowbee
- Hand tied flies and stunning attention to detail with techniques (Tenkara fishing also available at no extra charge)
- Orvis breathable waders, boots, auto inflate life vests and costa sunglasses
- Alba Game Fishing Baseball cap £20
- Gourmet cooked lunches served in a riverside cabin, with wine and a welcome Dram.All the ingredients are locally sourced and organic. – £40 for one person, £60 for two.
- Professional photography of your day, using Nikon full frame DSLR cameras and prime lenses/ drones. Includes phonebook and link to dropbox.
- Excellent local River Tweed fishing accommodation
- Specialist Box of salmon flies, hand tied by Alba Guides 20 of the best trout flies for the River Tweed (that work) £80.00