One of the best trout rivers in Scotland – River Annan
The River Annan rises in the hills near Moffat, close to the source of the River Tweed and River Clyde. The river is 78km in length, and meanders through mainly farmland, until it reaches the Solway Forth. The Annan produces some of the best brown trout fishing in Europe, as well as huge Grayling, Sea Trout and Salmon.
There is a wide variety of fishing available on association waters and private beats. If you have never fished the river before, a fishing guide is essential. Your guide will not only know the boundaries of beats, but safe access points, and where the fish will be located. The wading in the river varies, most sections offer safe shallow wading with fine gravel.
Trout & Grayling wade fly fishing in the River Annan
Spring time offer the opportunity to catch a real specimen Brown Trout on the Annan. Trout can be caught early in the season with Euronymphing techniques. When the weather warms up, usually in April, the fly hatches start to happen. Good hatches of Blue Winged Olives and March Browns produce days of memorable sport. These trout feed heavily in spring, as they look to pack on weight after winter. The wild brown trout season starts on March 15th and runs till October 6th. Mid April to Mid May is usually the best time on the river for trout, but speak to your guide before booking.
Prime Grayling season November to February
The River Annan is one of the finest Grayling rivers in Europe with 2lb + fish commonplace and 3lb + specimens every season to our guests rods. We offer and coach a variety of methods of fly fishing, including, Euronymphing, French leaders, Czech nymphing with strike indicators and Tenkara. (see video page)
A typical days fishing on the River Annan
You can be collected from your hotel by your guide, or we can meet you at an agreed location. A day normal runs from 08:30 to 17:30, however we are flexible with timings.
We provide premium fishing tackle, you can try the new Orvis Helios 3 and Clearwater2, Sage LL rods, with the very best Rio and Barrio fly lines. For Nymphing, we use the Sage ESN rods and reels, the ultimate tools for the river. We use Orvis breathable waders, and boots with tungsten studs, to minimise slipping on the river bed. Auto inflate life vests are provided. All the flies are tied by our guides and are highly effective. Orvis Sonic waterproof wading Jackets can also be supplied should you forget yours, simply provide us with your size when booking the trip. Equally we carry spare sunglasses should you forget yours.
You will not be part of a group. Your dedicated guide will be close all day and give you as little or as much attention as you prefer, including casting tips, how to read the river or just general banter.
When you need solitude you can just enjoy the river, we will watch from a distance with net at the ready.
Included in this fishing package
- River Annan fishing permits for a private stretch of the river
- Transport arrangements from Edinburgh or Moffat(other locations cost TBC)
- Dedicated professional River Fishing Guide
- The latest fishing tackle – Orvis Helios and Sage trout rods, hand tied flies and a selection of Rio and Barrio fly lines
- Photographs of the day- link to Dropbox
- Clothing, footwear/ Orvis Breathable waders and sunglasses
- Orvis Wading Jacket if required (we have all sizes)
- Alba Game Fishing Baseball cap £20
- Tenkara fishing – no extra charge
- Gourmet cooked lunches served in riverside cabin, with wine and a welcome Dram. All the ingredients are locally sourced and organic. £40.00 for one, £60.00 for two
- Photo book of your day’s experience £120.00
- Alba box of speciality nymphs and tungsten bugs, tied by Scottish International River Angler – £80.00