Guided Fly Fishing River Tay for Salmon: Wade or Boat fishing
If you’ve ever dreamt of Salmon fishing on the River Tay we can help. Alba will provide a professional fishing guide/ SGAIC casting instructor, offering advice on river craft and spey casting techniques and tuition. Premium salmon fishing tackle, transport, and lunches can be provided.
You’ll be fishing the River Tay- Internationally renowned for its Atlantic salmon fishing, and one of the best salmon rivers in the UK and certainly one of the world’s most iconic rivers. Anglers come from all over the world to fish for wild Scottish salmon here.
The River Tay is the longest river in Scotland at 117 miles, its source comes from almost the other side of the country at loch Tay at Kenmore and starts its journey eastwards to the Tay Estuary and the North Sea. The Tay regularly produces very big fish, including the current UK rod caught salmon record, caught by Miss Georgina Ballantine in 1922, weighing 64lbs. The Atlantic salmon is such a powerful fish, and somehow a real symbol of ancient Scotland. Catching one in Scotland is every angler’s dream and according to Visit Scotland, one of the top ten attractions in Scotland. A Bucket List Dream!
The salmon season on the River Tay runs from 15th January to 15th October, although you can extend fishing to 31st October on excellent tributaries like the River Earn, and the River Tummel, the former is one of the best Autumn rivers for Salmon in Scotland.
How does your fishing day go?
You can be collected from your hotel by your guide, a day normal runs from 08:00 to 18:00, however, we are flexible with timings. The best places to stay for fishing the Tay are the city of Perth, Edinburgh and the Strathtay areas. A full list of recommended fishing accommodation can be found here.
We provide everything you need. Quality fishing tackle is provided by Orvis, Sage, Hardy and Scott Mackenzie, as well as specialist River Tay salmon flies, tied by our guides. Orvis wading jackets and Orvis breathable waders supplied, we also carry spare sunglasses. Our top quality Orvis wading boots have Vibram Soles and Tungsten studs. We supply quality 14ft and 15ft double hand salmon rods, reels and balanced lines. We have a range of line choices, Shooting Heads, Spey lines, Short Spey and Skagit all perfectly balanced to maximise your enjoyment and chance of catching.
Your guide will be on your shoulder all day and is happy to give you casting tips, take photos and share stories. When you need solitude, you can just enjoy the river, and relax.
What?s Included un a typical fishing day
- Salmon Fishing permits for a prime beat of River Tay
- Transport arrangements from Edinburgh, St Andrews or Perth
- Professional fishing guide and SGAIC casting instructor
- The latest fishing tackle and techniques; hand tied salmon flies and premium fishing tackle.
- Spey Casting clinic, lessons or fine tuning if required
- Photographs of the day? link to Dropbox(taken by your guide on a compact camera or iPhone)
- Clothing, footwear/ waders, and sunglasses
- All you need bring is your enthusiasm
- Professional photographs of your fishing experience by a dedicated pro. Link sent to Dropbox or DVD provided – £350.00 (includes photo book)
- Alba Game Fishing Baseball cap – £25
- Gourmet cooked lunches served in a riverside cabin, with wine and a welcome Dram. Organic or locally sourced ingredients. – £40 for one £60 for two.
- Excellent Fishing Accommodation
- Specialist Box of salmon flies, hand tied by Alba Guides 20 of the best salmon flies for the River Tay (that work) £80.00