Guided Fly Fishing River Tay for Salmon: Wade or Boat fishing
Your dream to go Salmon fishing on the River Tay starts here. We offer salmon fishing on various River Tay beats on this iconic river. Alba will provide a professional fishing guide/ SGAIC casting instructor, advice on river craft, spey casting techniques and tuition. We hold a large stock of premium salmon fishing tackle by Sage, Orvis and Scott Mackenzie, as well as breathable Orvis waders and boot with tungsten studs (we hold all sizes men and women)
Transport to and from your accommodation to the river can be arranged, and delicious hot riverside lunches can be provided.
The River Tay is internationally renowned for its Atlantic salmon fishing, and one of the best salmon rivers in the UK and certainly one of the world’s most iconic rivers. Anglers come from far and wide to fish for wild Scottish salmon here.
The River Tay is the longest river in Scotland, at 117 miles long. Its source and headwaters comes from almost the other side of the country, the west coast of Scotland, and then the river empties Loch Tay at Kenmore and starts its journey eastwards to the Tay Estuary and the North Sea. The Tay regularly produces very big fish, including the current UK rod caught salmon record, caught by Miss Georgina Ballantine in 1922, weighing 64lbs. The Atlantic salmon is such a powerful fish, and somehow a real symbol of ancient Scotland. Catching one in Scotland is every angler’s dream and according to Visit Scotland, one of the top ten attractions in Scotland. A Bucket List Dream!
The salmon season on the River Tay runs from 15th January to 15th October, and you can extend fishing to 31st October on excellent tributaries like the River Earn, and the River Tummel, the former is one of the best Autumn rivers for Salmon in Scotland.
A typical salmon fishing day on the River Tay
You can be collected from your hotel by your guide, a day normal runs from 08:00 to 18:00, however, we are flexible with timings. The best places to stay for fishing the Tay are the city of Perth, Edinburgh, Glasgow and the Strathtay areas. A full list of recommended fishing accommodation can be found here.
We will do everything possible to increase your chances of connecting with that elusive wild River Tay salmon. You fishing guide will know the river inside out. Double hand Spey fly rods and spin casting rods are of the highest quality and we constantly explore and update better methods and techniques for the river. If you are fly fishing, our River Tay salmon flies are lovingly tied by our guides and highly effective. Orvis wading jackets and Orvis breathable waders and boots are supplied, in all sizes. We also carry spare sunglasses. We have a range of line choices, to cover all scenarios, Shooting Heads, Spey lines, Short Spey and Skagit all perfectly balanced to maximise your enjoyment and chance of catching.
Your guide will be on your shoulder all day and is happy to give you casting tips, take photos and share stories. When you need solitude, you can just enjoy the river alone, and relax.
Included in this salmon Fishing Day
- Salmon Fishing permits for a prime beat of River Tay
- Transport arrangements from Edinburgh, St Andrews or Perth
- Professional fishing guide and SGAIC casting instructor
- The latest fishing tackle and techniques; hand tied salmon flies and premium fishing tackle.
- Spey Casting clinic, lessons or fine tuning if required
- Photographs of the day, link to Dropbox (taken by your guide on a compact camera or iPhone)
- Clothing, footwear/ waders, and spare sunglasses
- Brand new Crewsaver auto – inflate life vest (updated late 2021)
- Professional photographs of your fishing experience by a dedicated professional photographer using Full frame format Nikon DSLR and prime lenses. Link sent to Dropbox or DVD provided – £350.00 (includes photo book)
- Alba Game Fishing Baseball cap – £20
- Gourmet cooked riverside lunches served in a riverside cabin, with wine and a welcome dram. Organic or locally sourced ingredients. – £40 for one £60 for two.
- Excellent Fishing Accommodation
- Specialist Box of salmon flies, hand tied by Alba Guides 20 of the best salmon flies for the River Tay (that work) £80.00