Salmon Fishing River Tweed with a Fishing Guide
The River Tweed and it tributaries, offers best salmon fishing near Edinburgh,. You can catch Atlantic Salmon and Sea Trout. Alba Game Fishing can provide trusted and experienced professional River Tweed fishing guides, and everything else you need for the day.
Salmon can be caught throughout the season, we have access to various beats throughout the river. A river “beat”, is a section of the river, under different ownership. We can help you choose the right beat, we make this decision based on previous catch returns, water levels, and conditions.
The salmon fishing season
The season for migratory fish, i.e. salmon and sea trout on River Tweed commences 1st February and runs late into the season finishing on 30th November. The river rises in Tweeds Well, and flows eastwards 97 miles through Peebles, Galashiels, Selkirk, Hawick, Kelso before flowing into the North Sea at Berwick upon Tweed.
The History of fishing on the Tweed
The River Tweed as well being famous for the origin of Tweed cloth is one of the best salmon fishing rivers in Scotland. Anglers have been fly fishing for the run of Atlantic salmon on the Tweed since the 17th century. The River Tweed is the second longest river in Scotland (97 miles) and produces more fish caught to the fly than any other river in the UK.
A typical salmon fishing day on the tweed
To avoid car sharing, we will meet you near the river and you can follow us to the beat from the meeting point. Once Covid is behind us, we can resume pick ups and drop offs. Until then, we are trying to keep guests, guides, and future guests safe by avoiding car sharing.
Days normally run from 08:30 to 17:00, however, we are flexible with timings.
We provide all the fishing tackle you need, including specialist salmon flies tied by our guides. Orvis waterproof wading jackets, waders, and quality wading boots are supplied, and we carry spare sunglasses.
Your fishing guide will be on your shoulder all day and is happy to give you casting tips, Spey casting tuition, advice on river craft, take photos and share stories. When you need solitude you can just enjoy the river.
What’s Included in a Salmon Fishing Day on the River Tweed
- Fishing permits for a private stretch of the river Tweed
- Transport arrangements – Hire and Reward Insurance
- Professional River Tweed fishing guides
- The latest fishing tackle; choose from Scott Mackenzie, Orvis or Sage rods. Carefully crafted effective, hand tied salmon flies that work.
- We will teach you Spey Casting with the 15ft rod.
- Photographs of the day link to Dropbox(taken by your guide on a compact camera or iPhone)
- Orvis Breathable waders, boots with tungsten studs, and Crewsaver life vests (updated 2021). Spare sunglasses
- Professional photographs of your fishing experience by a dedicated pro, using full frame Nikon DSLR camera and prime lenses. £350 . Link sent to Dropbox and includes Photo Book of your trip
- Alba Game Fishing Baseball cap – £10
- Gourmet cooked lunches served in a riverside cabin, with wine and a welcome Dram. Organic or locally sourced ingredients. – £40 for one £60 for two.
- Excellent local accommodation
- Specialist Box of salmon flies, hand tied by Alba Guides 20 salmon flies for the Tweed (that work) £80.00