River Spey: Fly Fishing for Atlantic Salmon
Have you ever dreamt of fly fishing on the River Spey, the birthplace of the Spey Casting techniques. An experience not to be missed in Scotland. We offer Guided salmon fishing trips on the River Spey, and provide everything you need, including 15 years experience and access to superb beats throughout the river. Most of the fishing is wade fishing from the bank. We provide excellent fishing tackle, Orvis waders and dedicated River Spey fishing guide and Spey Casting Instructors. We can also pick up and drop off from your hotel.
The River Spey is internationally renowned for its Atlantic salmon fishing. It is one of the best salmon rivers in Scotland, offering superb fly fishing water and unparalleled sport. Fast moving fly water and wonderful scenery abound. Anglers come to Scotland from all over the world to fish here.
How does your fishing day go?
You can be collected from your hotel by your guide, a day normal runs from 08:30 to 17:30, however, we are flexible with timings.
We provide everything – quality 14/ 15ft fly rod, choice of shooting head, short head spey lines, full spey and skagit, all balanced with our rods perfectly. In addition at the business end, handcrafted Spey salmon flies that really work. If you prefer to travel light, we can supply Orvis wading jackets, breathable waders, and auto-inflate life vests and spare Costa sunglasses.
Your fishing guide will be on your shoulder all day and is happy to give you casting tips, give insights into reading the river and where the salmon lie, take photos and share stories. When you need solitude, you can just enjoy this majestic river in peace.
- Salmon Fishing permits (license not required)
- Transport arrangements
- Dedicated professional River Spey Guide/ Spey casting instructor
- Breathable Orvis Waders and Boots with tungsten studs, auto inflations life vests
- Scott Mackenzie Fly rods, a choice of lines. Premium fishing tackle and hand tied River Spey flies.
- Photos of your day by your guide, using iphone or small camera.
- High-quality wading jackets, spare Costa Sunglasses
- Professional photographs of your fishing experience by a dedicated pro. Link send to Dropbox or DVD provided £350 (includes photo book)
- Alba Game Fishing Baseball cap £25
- Gourmet cooked lunches served in a riverside cabin, with wine and a welcome Dram. Organic or locally sourced ingredients.£40.00 for one £60 for two.
- Excellent local accommodation close to the fishing
- Specialist Box of salmon flies, hand tied by Alba Guides 20 of the best salmon flies for the River Spey (that work) £80.00
Essential River Spey Information
Spring salmon in February are rare but there’s always a chance if you brave the cold temperatures. In March good runs of Spring fish start to enter the river and can be caught in the lower & middle Spey salmon fishing beats. In April & May, bigger runs of Spring fish arrive appear and fresh run salmon can be throughout the river Spey system during the late Spring. Salmon in the 20-30lbs class, are frequently caught from May onwards each season. Spring salmon average 10lb in weight. The Spring and Summer brings a consistent run of salmon into the river and a good head of sea trout. The fishing on the River Spey in Autumn is prolific, as fresh run salmon arrive to join the resident fish.